CHILD CARE CENTER (IN-CHCR-IUINA)
IUPUI Center for Young Children partners with families to provide a nurturing, play-based learning environment that fosters social, emotional, physical, cognitive and language development. The Center strives to be the standard for quality center-based childcare. Our Assistant Teachers play an important role in achieving our mission.
We are committed to being a welcoming campus community that reflects and enacts the values of diversity, equity and inclusion. We seek candidates who seek to understand different perspectives and cultures, who can actively contribute to a work climate where differences are valued and supported, and who are sensitive to cultural norms, expectations and ways of communicating. We hope to identify individuals who can assist us in dismantling racism and other oppressions so that everyone has the opportunity to succeed at IUPUI.
- Supports children's growth and development in the 5 domains (social/emotional, cognitive, physical, self-care, & communication/ literacy) utilizing a variety of methods that are research-based and reflect the center's philosophy. Uses information about individual children's needs, interests, and concerns gained through observation to help plan and implement curriculum and assessment.
- Understands, accepts, and embraces social, cultural, and economic backgrounds of children and families, ensuring that the program provides for these individual differences.
- Works cooperatively and equitably with classroom co-teacher to ensure engaging, comfortable, child-centered classroom. Is familiar with and follows state licensing regulations and national accreditation standards.
- Fills out and files written reports and forms in a timely fashion and notifies upper management regarding any accidents or unusual incidents throughout the day. Handles disagreements and conflicts with other center staff in a direct, but professional and respectful manner. Promotes center philosophy and educational objectives. Supports and follows the center's code of ethical conduct. Assists in training for hourly aides.
- Communicates respectfully and appropriately about challenges a child may have experienced in a day. In collaboration with co-teacher, communicates with families about classroom activities and child's progress on a regular basis.
- Attends and participates in regularly scheduled staff meetings. Pursues professional development through conferences, classes, workshops, and reading.
- High school diploma or GED
Working Conditions / Demands
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong verbal communication and listening skills
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Maintains a high degree of professionalism
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidential information
This role regularly requires the ability to effectively communicate. This role frequently requires the ability to handle equipment. This role frequently requires the ability to remain stationary and ascend/descend ladders/stairs. This role requires the ability to move objects weighing up to 25 pounds. The role requires the ability to detect items in close proximity as well as far away; discern between colors; detect objects in peripheral space of self; discern items in detail; and to have good depth perception. The person in this role must be able to perform the essential functions with or without an accommodation.Work Location
Indianapolis, Indiana 46202Benefits Overview
For full-time staff employees, Indiana University offers a wide array of benefits including:
- Multiple plan options for medical insurance
- Dental insurance
- Health Savings Account with generous IU contribution
- Life insurance, LTD, and AD&D options
- Base retirement plan contribution from IU, subject to vesting
- Additional supplemental retirement plan options
- Tuition benefit for IU classes
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Paid Parental Leave
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Learn more about our benefits by reviewing our online Benefits Brochure.Job Classification
Career Level: Foundational
Job Function: Educational Resources & Tech
Job Family: Childcare Services
Click here to learn more about Indiana University's Job Framework.Posting Disclaimer
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there may be differences in the working conditions as advertised in our standard job postings (e.g., the ability to travel from one campus to another, etc.). If you are invited for an interview, please discuss your questions or concerns regarding the working conditions at that time.
This posting is scheduled to close at 11:59 pm EST on the advertised Close Date. This posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University, but will remain open for a minimum of 5 business days. To guarantee full consideration, please submit your application within 5 business days of the Posted Date.
If you wish to include a cover letter, you may include it with your resume when uploading attachments.New employees will be provided with information regarding Indiana University's COVID-19 vaccine policy, which includes the opportunity to request an exemption. To learn more, view our COVID-19 vaccine information page.Equal Employment Opportunity
Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment based on individual qualifications. Indiana University prohibits discrimination based on age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, disability status or protected veteran status. Indiana University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admission, as required by Title IX. Questions or complaints regarding Title IX may be referred to the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights or the university Title IX Coordinator. See Indiana University's Notice of Non-Discrimination here which includes contact information.Campus Safety and Security
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, containing policy statements, crime and fire statistics for all Indiana University campuses, is available online. You may also request a physical copy by emailing IU Public Safety at firstname.lastname@example.org or by visiting IUPD.Contact Us