$19.033 upon hire - $ 22.320 after successfully completing training
The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) is hiring dedicated individuals for Children and Family Service Specialist (CFSS) positions. These roles directly impact our mission of Helping People Living Better Lives through the provision of critical family services, supporting families as they build their future & ensure the safety and wellbeing of children.
CFSS roles are rewarding yet challenging as they assess claims of child abuse and neglect; this includes interviewing family members to assess if abuse or neglect has occurred, assessing risk and safety issues, recommendation of services, and determining if further intervention is necessary, including possible removals. Current CFSS staff find fulfillment through seeing children return to stable, loving homes, giving a voice to children and their parents, and providing families the tools they need to succeed.
Why DHHS? Benefits include a competitive health insurance and retirement plans (retirement contribution match of 156%), earning of vacation and sick leave Day One (12 Days), 13 State holidays, eligibility to participate in the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program, $20,000 Basic Life Insurance at no additional cost, competitive Title IV-E stipend awards for Master of Social Work participants, and flexible work schedules post-training completion.
Work Schedule: M-F, 8-5 during training. Upon completion of training, flexible hours are available with some evening/weekend/holiday/on-call rotations required. Still in school? Special consideration is given to applicants who will receive their Bachelor's degrees within 90 days of this posting's closing date.
Examples of Work
Opportunities available in the Northern Service Area, where we are seeking candidates for our upcoming training groups. Communities where opportunities may be available in NSA include, Seward, Columbus, York, Norfolk, South Sioux City, Fremont and Blair. In this position, you will serve as a case manager for families referred to the Department of Health and Human Services.
As a Child and Family Services Specialist, you will:
In this position, you will serve as a case manager for families referred to the Department of Health and Human Services. As a Child and Family Services Specialist, you will:
• Assess allegations of abuse/neglect, visit family homes, conduct safety and risk assessments, establish safety plans, and work with County Attorney to initiate court involvement.
• Provide voluntary prevention services to families through Alternative Response.
• Interview parents, caregivers, person who reports the concern, family members, and others familiar with the family situation. This may include medical staff, teachers, law enforcement, etc.
• Engage families to develop, implement, and evaluate treatment plans;, authorize, coordinate, and provide family services.
• Partner with judges and attorneys to prepare cases, attend court hearings, and testify in court.
• Assist in prevention services, including coordination with community resources; work with schools, law enforcement, and mental health providers; develop professional relationships; inform the public of protection and safety services.
• Perform crisis intervention.
• Write clear, concise and descriptive reports under time restraints.
• Casework may be with children/juveniles who have been adjudicated as delinquent or status offenders.
• Promotes and demonstrates appropriate respect for cultural diversity and competency among coworkers and all work-related contacts.
• Promotion to Child & Family Services Specialist will occur after successful completion of required classroom and on-the-job training programs.
Qualifications / Requirements
REQUIREMENTS: A bachelor's degree in social work, psychology, sociology, counseling, human development, mental health care, education, criminal justice, or other closely related area. Consideration will be given to applicants who are enrolled in the final semester of their bachelor's degree.
PREFERRED: At least one year experience working children and families. Experience in child welfare and/or case management experience, internships with human services/child welfare agencies will also be considered, demonstrated ability to handle high levels of stress and emotionally volatile situations, problem-solving skills, and resiliency to provide excellent written and verbal communication, and ability to effectively manage time and deadlines.
OTHER: Valid driver's license is required. Travel for face to face visits with children, families, service providers, and other work related appointments may be required dependent upon caseload location. Utilization of a state vehicle may be provided dependent upon office location.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of: Family life issues and dynamics; community services; child, adolescent and adult behavior. Importance of youth and families involved in the child welfare system in having normal life experiences consistent with age, gender, culture and community settings, the importance of families/individuals having the right and ability to make decisions, and community resources and how to access them.
Skill in: Assess and engage children, young people, and adults, to collect and elicit essential information and assess client's needs and progress; openly and honestly discussing concerns with others in a non-judgmental way. Develop interpersonal relationships. Problem-solving, ability to manage high-stress, fast-paced environment, demonstrated resiliency
Ability to assess and critically analyze information gathered, utilize cultural humility and have an understanding of how interventions will meet the cultural needs of each child, young person, adult and family, effectively communicate critical case information through testimony, effective communication electronically, on paper, or in person; listen to and comprehend other's communication, respond flexibly and adapt to constant-changing circumstances.
Add your resume to our resume database that can be searched by employers looking to hire!
Stay up to date with job alerts! Customize your alerts based on a specific area, category and receive weekly updates!
Posted about 1 hour ago
Posted about 1 hour ago
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Posted about 1 hour ago