** This requisition represents multiple Cook I openings within University Dining. By applying to this requisition, you will have the opportunity to be considered for all available Cook I openings within this department. You will have the opportunity to indicate your preferences of location(s) and shift(s) during the application process. **
University Housing & Dining is seeking multiple Cook I positions to join the team at a variety of locations. Under direct supervision, these positions will perform general cooking duties using standardized recipes and instructions as needed. Will also perform other related preparation and sanitization duties as required.
University Dining is currently offering a $2,000 recruitment bonus for new external Cook I hires which is paid on the first monthly paycheck after 30 days of employment. Current UI employees are not eligible.
University Dining's goal at Iowa is to provide wholesome, healthy, and tasty foods prepared daily to meet the dietary and nutritional needs of our students. Our staff is committed to providing sustainable products and services that protect our natural resources. When possible, we purchase locally grown and sustainable foods from our vendors. Our dining areas are vibrant, dynamic places to work and to eat.
Possible Shifts for these openings include:
- 12:00pm to 8:30pm (may occasionally work other 8 hour shifts between 6:00am and 9:30pm)
- 12:30pm to 9:00pm (may occasionally work other 8 hour shifts between 6:00am and 9:30pm)
Some Cook I openings within University Dining may require working rotating weekend shifts.
Possible locations for these openings include:
About the Division of Student Life:
- Burge Market Place
- Catlett Market Place
- Hillcrest Market Place
- Campus Dining Operations/University Catering
- Dining Retail Locations
The Division of Student Life is comprised of staff that embrace new ideas and thoughts, works together to keep our students safe, and provides them with life-changing experiences. The Division of Student Life includes 14 departments that span from Recreation Services to the office of Leadership, Service and Civic Engagement and everything in between. We believe in working together as one team to achieve our mission: fostering student success by creating and promoting inclusive educationally purposeful services and activities within and beyond the classroom. One of our division priorities is to advance UI's goals to recruit and retain U.S. racial/ethnic minority (URM) staff and students.Qualifications:
Minimum Eligibility Requirements:
- Ability to read, write, and follow directions.
- One year work experience in a customer service role.
- Experience working in a diverse work environment.
- One year cooking experience in an operation required to have and maintain a food service license.
- Ability to take the ServSafe course and successfully pass the ServSafe test requirements within one year of hire.
- Interest in and the ability to learn basic computer and keyboarding skills; including the ability to access and draft email correspondence, and the ability to manage electronic time accruals and personal absence requests. Previous experience is highly desired.
- Applicants may upload a resume and cover letter and mark them as a "Relevant File" to the submission for consideration.
This posting is for multiple openings and will be posted for 90 calendar days. At the end of the 90-day posting period, candidates may reapply to be considered for additional openings. Successful candidates will be required to self-disclose any conviction history and will be subject to a criminal background check. Up to 5 professional references will be requested at a later step in the recruitment process. For questions, contact Esther Kalonji at Esther-Kalonji@uiowa.edu.
- Classification Title: Cook I
- Appointment Type: Merit
- Schedule: Full-time
- Work Modality Options: On Campus
- Pay Level: 04
- Starting Salary Minimum: 33800.00
This job has expired.
- Organization: Student Life
- Contact Name: Esther Kalonji
- Contact Email: Esther-Kalonji@uiowa.edu