The College Board is conducting a search for a Director of Business Principles, a new course to be developed in the Advanced Placement (AP®) Program.
About the College Board
We are a mission focused organization that believes that investing in education is investing in the future. From our earliest days, we have devoted ourselves to educational opportunity and achievement. We have promoted innovation, equity, and excellence for generations of students. We are advocates for children and parents; we empower teachers and educators; and we are a strong presence in thousands of schools and communities across the country through programs and services - the SAT, Advanced Placement (AP®) and Pre-AP are just a few.
About Advanced Placement (AP®)
AP® is a rigorous academic program built on the commitment, passion and hard work of students and educators from secondary schools and higher education. With more than 30 courses in a wide variety of subject areas, AP provides willing and academically prepared high school students with the opportunity to study and learn at the college level. Learn more are http://press.collegeboard.org/ap.
About the position
The Director of Business Principles is responsible for leading the development, launch, and ongoing management of a new Advanced Placement course which will launch in Fall 2024. The Director will serve as the primary point of contact with higher and secondary education subject-matter experts who will serve as core stakeholders in the development of AP Business Principles. The Director will work closely with higher and secondary education committees and a diverse set of advisors to define a curriculum and exam consistent with those offered in first-year higher education courses.
In addition to leading course and exam development, the Director is responsible for managing the operational scoring of AP exam content, translating between academics and technical experts (test developers and psychometricians), and training a team of exam graders from secondary and higher education. The Director also oversees the production of instructional materials for AP students and professional learning materials for teachers planning to teach AP Business Principles.
Finally, theDirector serves as the primary spokesperson for AP Business Principles, ensuring that the course is understood, accepted, and supported in secondary and higher education communities and among stakeholders beyond academia.
What you'll do
- Coordinate a broad coalition of stakeholders within and beyond secondary and higher education; lead the group to an actionable consensus on course and exam design, while honoring differing perspectives.
- Manage the ongoing operational curriculum, instruction, and assessment of Business Principles. Ensure that the course and exam are accepted and adopted by secondary and higher education constituents.
- Contribute to research and best practices related to curriculum development, instructional pedagogies, and assessment; participate in regular discussions with other AP program team members on the current professional literature to build a set of common, shared beliefs about AP's direction within the larger educational community.
Curriculum and Instruction
- Collaborate with the AP Instruction team to develop new resources designed to address unmet teacher instructional needs, including developing instructional prototypes, and participating in market-testing.
- Recruit, train, and directly supervise committee members in the development of course and exam materials. Collaborate with key internal stakeholders to execute project plans.
- Develop professional learning materials for prospective AP Business Principles teachers.
- Responsible for the review and approval of all AP Business Principles exam content in collaboration with AP Assessment staff and assessment contractors and vendors, ensuring the exam development aligns with approved test specifications.
- Make recommendations for AP Business Principles exam design.
- Monitor and improve exam validity and reader reliability in accordance with established AP Program thresholds.
- Conduct multiple face-to-face and virtual meetings annually with each of the committees within the Director's stewardship, ensuring that stakeholder input is captured and considered.
- Manage existing AP Development Committee recruitment and membership; direct the overarching AP outreach strategy for the AP Business Principles committee.
- Represent and increase support for the mission of the AP Business Principles course.
- Recommend strategies and approaches that will help the program effectively scale to support and encourage high adoption across urban, suburban, and rural school districts. Support translating the existing PD model to effectively address the needs of AP teachers in that discipline.
- Work with the AP Higher Education team to co-develop and implement plans to raise college and university awareness of AP Business Principles.
- Assist efforts to recruit college faculty and experienced AP teachers to serve as AP graders; co-lead the planning and execution of discipline-specific AP Faculty Colloquia events.
More about you
- Master's degree in business, although a doctorate in the discipline is highly preferred
- Postsecondary or high school experience teaching introductory business courses required (including courses such as business, entrepreneurship, marketing, finance, or business administration)
- Experience with design and implementation of professional development as well as experience with instructional design and content development preferred
- Experience with assessment design or development preferred
- A strong background in adult learning preferred
- Excellent organizational and planning skills, including attention to detail and the ability to effectively handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including ability to interact effectively with diverse stakeholders from a range of professional backgrounds (academia, advocacy organizations, business)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Skills in process and procedure development and implementation
- Strong customer service orientation
- Willing to travel, once safe travel is feasible
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package, which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.Apply
If you are interested in joining the College Board in this position and you meet our qualifications, we encourage you to apply by submitting your resume and a brief, introductory cover letter through our Careers page at www.collegeboard.org/careersImportant:
- This role is available to all potential employees working from home in the United States. The team works together 100% remotely.
- Please submit your application by January 31st, 2022. After that date, the formal review process will begin. The process includes:
- Completion of the job application and questionnaire (included in the application). Please do not submit a cover letter for the role - we will assess your alignment to the position from your resume and responses to the questionnaire
- A first round phone screen with the recruiter
- A panel interview
- Completion of a performance task and/or submission of prior work samples (TBD)
- A final interview with the hiring manager
- Reference callsMission
The College Board's mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®. The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.