Director, R&D Project Management and Operations, Translational Medicine, Early Oncology
Do you have expertise and a passion for helping drive the translation of basic research into patient treatments? Would you like to apply your expertise project management and operations to improve cancer therapies in a matrixed company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the place for you! Work with leaders in Immuno-Oncology and Cancer biology with a track record of making immunotherapies happen and improved patient outcomes a reality.
We are seeking a Director in R&D Project Management and Operations TM to join a world class center for discovery and development of innovative cancer medicines. Based in Gaithersburg MD, you will be a link between bioscience and clinical sciences. You will drive business and strategy behind the science to enable novel clinical trial designs that could impact AstraZeneca's broad and expanding portfolio for targeted agents in Immuno-oncology.
The Director of Operations and Project Management (PM) in the TM Discovery IO (Immunotherapy, Cell Therapy, and Circuits & Engagers) department within Early Oncology (EO) will be responsible for the scientific operations, business planning and PM of the cross-functional advanced systems biology platform and other EO initiatives to achieve its key strategic objectives and deliver on achievements. This position will play a highly visible, critical role in successfully delivering the key objectives of the platform team and offers significant and accelerated growth potential as well as exposure to senior leadership within Oncology R&D.
Project Strategic Alignment
- Cross-functional Team Leadership and Delivery
- Serves as a core team member and drives efficient operation of the Team including overall plans, priorities, budget, timelines, communications and risk management
- Accountable for driving an effective, efficient team environment and helps the team leader to build a cohesive, successful team.
- Facilitates teams and sub-teams towards successful issue resolution and decision making in majority of situations. Focuses the team on the right activities at the right time directing them to deliver on the integrated project plan.
External Collaboration Management
- Provides input into the project strategy and vision through expertise in PM and Operations; ensures delivery to the Team's strategy
- Ensures appropriate linkages between project strategy and key internal processes (EO strategy, EO prioritization, corporate scorecard)
- Integrates and provides information to both the team and senior leadership that allows efficient (timely and informed) decision making
Planning, Monitoring and Delivery
- Plans and manages the operational aspects of external academic and industry collaborations, including ensuring collaboration effectiveness, appropriate communications, coordination of activities such as sample procurement logistics, managing escalation, solving business problems, and negotiating with the partner on ongoing agreements
- Provides a single point-of-contact for partners and a pathway for business/contractual issue resolution or other business-related matters
- Proactively tracks, monitors and communicates contract achievements, obligations, renewals, need for amendments and any financial payments to project team leaders, senior leadership and Legal. Works with project team leaders to ensure that both AZ and its collaboration partners, are on track to meet contractual obligations and milestones
- Reviews and approves financial payments and routes payment requests through Finance
- Develops strong working relationships with key involved parties for each collaboration, internally and externally. Strives to proactively anticipate and address business-related needs of the parties to optimize joint project team success
- Sets specific and measurable performance objectives, standards, and accountabilities for each collaboration. Ensuring the vision, goals and objectives of the collaborations are aligned and communicated between the collaborators
- Ensures that overall team deliverables, budgets, schedules, and performance standards are realistically set, governance approved and attained, and that the project effectively fulfills all business reporting requirements.
- Maintains plans of the highest data quality, accountable for all Project Management deliverables associated with project team(s) or sub-teams
- Supports man power and non-man power forecasting and tracks spend against agreed budget and monitors actual expenditure against agreed budget targets, identifying variances and implementing corrective action if necessary.
Skills and Experience
- Seeks opportunities to drive positive change and remove barriers within and outside the team.
- Champions company standard processes.
- Uses business knowledge to drive cross-functional and cross-project learning.
The successful candidate will be dynamic, team oriented, able to partner well with all functional management. This candidate will be strategic, yet detail oriented and able to think across disciplines to inject a degree of business rigor and consistency in performance and results.Required
- Bachelor's degree in a scientific or technical drug development subject, or requisite drug development experience; advanced degree including MBA a plus
- Experience supporting or leading cross-functional drug development teams or sub-teams
- Project Management experience with successful track record of delivering projects within agreed time, quality and cost.
- Ability to manage successful teams, and establishing effective team operations
- Proven proficiencies with a wide range of data/information tools and processes: scientific/clinical, legal/regulatory, business, financial and project management
- Ability to work effectively with senior stakeholders
- Previous accountability of high quality information on complex drug projects
- Strong information management skills including use of modern IM tools such as SharePoint, Microsoft Teams and OneNote
- Uses tact and diplomacy in interacting with people from different cultures and at all levels of the organization
- Proven ability to operate independently, with little to no day-to-day direct supervision of work.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Capacity to work cross-functionally and to influence people without direct authority.
AstraZeneca is a global, science-led, patient-focused biopharmaceutical company that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. But we're more than one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies. A place built on courage, curiosity and collaboration - we make bold decisions driven by patient outcomes. Empowered to lead at every level, free to ask questions and take smart risks that write the next chapter for our pipeline and Oncology team. Make a meaningful impact that brings real benefits to society. By applying your knowledge of data, you will help to redefine our industry and ultimately save lives. Work with experts who share a common goal: to accelerate the potential of medicines and the science of tomorrow.About Our Gaithersburg Oncology Hub
Our Gaithersburg, Maryland facility creates life-changing medicines for people around the world. This campus employs more than 3,500 experts in our field and is only a short drive from Washington, DC. This modern and vibrant scientific campus is the home of R&D and Oncology in the US. Here, we play host to some of the most cutting-edge technology and lab spaces, all designed to inspire collaboration and cross-functional science. We are dedicated to creating a culture of inclusion and collaboration.
The Gaithersburg site offers a variety of amenities to help keep our employees happy and healthy. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria and copy center, game rooms, community garden and more. This is where you'll find newly-designed, activity-based work spaces to suit a variety of working styles while increasing collaboration between teams.So, what's next-
Are you already envisioning yourself joining our team? Good- we can't wait to hear from you!
If you're curious to know more, please contact Bobbi Poole, our Talent Acquisition Partner.Closing Date: April 11, 2023Competitive remuneration and benefits apply
We offer a competitive Total Reward program including a market driven base salary, bonus and long term incentive. We have a generous paid time off program and a comprehensive benefits package.Where can I find out more?Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn
https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We follow all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.
This job has expired.