Job description overview
A fantastic opportunity has arisen to join a successful international company as their Director of Systems Engineering. We are looking for an enthusiastic leader to head up four teams, each with their own manager and totaling 38 staff. The teams support highly available server environments across a Linux and MS Windows estate, consisting of physical servers and virtualized environments. These include Kubernetes, Openstack Cloud, Hyper-V, KVM, VMware, and External Cloud, supporting the Corporate Enterprise network and our Customer-facing systems.
You will lead your experienced teams to manage day-to-day operations and deliver projects. You will help set strategic direction and manage the budget and costs associated with the server environments. You are passionate about high system availability, have strong incident management experience, and recognize the importance of systems security. You are interested in automation and configuration through code and in supporting newer technologies such as containerization.
This role would suit someone who understands the benefits of suitable processes and efficient working methods, such as 'Lean' and has strong stakeholder management skills. You understand the need to evolve to best support our business needs constantly. If you have experience with Big Data, Hybrid Cloud, and emerging technologies, have a genuine interest in management and leadership, and understand the importance of strong teamwork across geographies, we would like to hear from you.
BASIC FUNCTIONS: This position is responsible for all strategic aspects of technology and development leadership for some major systems. This position sets the architectural standard for the workgroup and provides the teams with day-to-day management and direction to accomplish on-time, efficient delivery of goals. The teams also perform research, design, and development assignments within a system engineering functional area and provide direct input to project plans, schedules, and methodology in developing cross-functional structures.
- 12+ years of Systems Engineering experience
- 5+ years of Systems Engineering management experience
- BS Engineering/Computer Science or equivalent experience required, advanced degree preferred
- Mastery of knowledge and skill in a broad base of system architecture.
- Experience and proven competencies in technologies associated with responsibilities.
- Advanced problem-solving experience involving leading teams in identifying, researching, and coordinating the resources necessary to troubleshoot/diagnose complex project issues effectively.
- Experienced in code reviews and development approaches.
- Advanced budgeting and finance skills.
- Knowledgeable in all aspects of disaster recovery.
- Knowledge of physical and virtual server environments and thin clients.
- Knowledge of Cloud infrastructure and working practices
- Knowledge of efficient working practices such as Lean, ITIL, and Agile
- Experience with managing third parties and vendor contracts
- Excellent skills in setting, communicating, implementing, and achieving business objectives and goals through the direct management of others.
- Excellent organization/project planning, time management, and change management skills across multiple functional groups and departments. Excellent delegation skills involving prioritizing and reprioritizing projects and managing projects of various sizes and complexity.
- Excellent problem-solving experience involving leading teams in identifying, researching, and coordinating the resources necessary to troubleshoot/diagnose complex project issues effectively; prior success extracting/translating findings into alternatives/solutions; and identifying risks/impacts and schedule adjustments to facilitate management decision-making.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and customer service skills. Strong interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills applicable to a broad audience, including senior and executive management, customers, etc.
- Work with large complex systems, ensuring that these are managed as defined Services.
- Carry out management responsibilities following the organization's policies, procedures, and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees, coaching and developing staff; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Ensure all staff is provided with training and resources needed to perform their jobs to the most outstanding degree possible.
- Ensure all staff are provided with frequent feedback and coaching to consistently meet and exceed individual and team performance goals.
- Manage and encourage new ideas from staff to foster improvements through innovations and help set strategic direction
- Empower staff to be accountable and responsible for their actions and decisions.
- Build strong relationships with stakeholders, consulting with them to find alternative workarounds during system outages.
- Demonstrate advanced understanding of best practices and emerging trends in areas of responsibility.
- Extract/translate findings into alternatives/solutions, identify risks/impacts, and schedule adjustments to facilitate management decision-making.
- Plan use of new system features and hardware for new products and servers to improve the overall operation of the system and productivity of staff.
- Demonstrate advanced understanding of industry technology language development trends.
- Design Disaster Recovery Plan, setup, testing, and ongoing maintenance systems schedules.
- Demonstrates thorough understanding of major system components (i.e., storage systems, Linux kernel, UNIX kernel, UNIX file system, and Windows infrastructure).
- Lead teams of systems engineers to ensure timely and accurate performance of all team activities.
- Manage change management and incident response.
- Work closely with development groups, support groups, and vendors to coordinate special operations and communicate/escalate problems appropriately to meet assigned deadlines.
- Diagnose system performance problems using available standard performance tools and system indicators such as queue lengths, CPU utilization, etc.
- Develop optimum system configurations and plans for installing systems and hardware devices.
- Recommend and change system parameters or configuration variables to improve overall system performance.
- Ensure that system controls are in place and demonstrate performance through metrics
- Partner closely with development groups, support groups, and vendors to coordinate special operations and communicate/escalate problems appropriately to meet assigned deadlines.
- Develop and implement security programs: manage and execute project deliverables; communicate to affected stakeholders, including departments within the company; develop program procedures including guidelines and flow diagrams to be implemented on an ongoing basis, and develop tools or metrics that allow for the measurement of successful program implementation.
- All other duties as assigned.
We are an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. If a qualified individual with a disability or disabled veteran needs a reasonable accommodation to use or access our online system, that individual should please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or if you are based in the US you may also contact us on 1.855.833.5120.
This job has expired.