Why you want to work at Flexion:
Flexion is looking for a Front End Developer who has a unique combination of Design and Development experience to join our Flexion team in supporting a large agile government initiative in the Maryland/Virginia/Washington DC area, this work will be done remotely. We are seeking someone who is both creative and intuitive in assessing problems and uncovering long term solutions.
At Flexion (an agile software company that's been delivering excellence for over 24 years), our company culture is built on autonomy, trust, and transparency. We empower teams to remain autonomous and self-directed by hiring people who can solve complex problems by functioning collaboratively-this means lending a hand and flexing your multi-skilled muscles (research, content, business analysis, information architecture, etc.) as needed. Every member within a cross-functional team is a leader who takes responsibility for the entire team's success, which mirrors the company's overall flat structure.
What the job looks like:
You'll use your start-up mentality to help determine the viability, impact, and value of many different kinds of digital product and service ideas within the federal government. This involves deep user and internet research, coupled with the ability to ask the right questions at the right time. As the ideas take shape, you'll also build out prototypes and MVPs that illustrate the need and possible solutions to decision makers. Based on the results of this R&D work, you'll advocate for the very best ideas to receive additional support and resources - knowing that most won't make the cut. You and the team would be tackling several of these problem statements at a time, arriving at answers within weeks, not months.
You'll be responsible for advocating for users every step of the way using human-centered design principles and an accessibility lens while participating in research efforts to test if we're solving the right problem, building the right thing, and meeting real needs. The project work is primarily remote but may require some client on-site work estimated at < 10%.
Why we want to hire you:
- Lead project deliverable and research activities (e.g., workflows, information architecture, sketching, mockups, prototypes, design patterns, microcopy, interaction design, usability testing) understand requirements, goals, and constraints, generating insights that shape the UX strategy and design decisions
- Work with designers on other product teams to help ensure user interaction and design consistency across the program
- Advocate for the users while balancing business needs/goals throughout the project
- Effectively communicate goals, designs, research, feedback, ideas, and requirements (both verbally and visually, when needed) to the team and stakeholders
- Pair and mob with UX designers, researchers and strategists to collaboratively develop and refine designs, while providing feedback on proposed technical solutions that affect the user experience
- Prototype, test, and iterate on designs
- Facilitate collaborative client discovery and design workshops
You can design small pieces as you go, while still thinking about how they fit into the whole. You welcome change as a positive thing (instead of viewing it as "rework") and never look at anything you deliver as "final." You understand when "good enough" really IS good enough, without ever compromising on the overall product quality. You've built different kinds of experiences, for different clients, with different technologies, and that variety suits you. You have:
At Flexion, we live by these principles:
- At least 2 years experience working in an agile environment
- Experience producing low-fidelity wireframes in a design tool like Figma, Balsamiq, or Sketch; experience producing high-fidelity page designs is a plus
- Experience with the US Web Design System or another Design System
- A bachelor's degree or commensurate experience
- A "can do" attitude devoid of ego
- The ability to shift focus rapidly and work on a series of different projects
- Superb time-management, communication, and problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of lean and agile methodologies to deliver a quality product with minimal churn
- Speak openly and honestly with your colleagues and clients about problems and proposed solutions
- Welcome and handle changing requirements and priorities with little or no warning
- Collaborate online in small groups about 50% of the time
- Encourage simple and minimal solutions that keep options open
- Expect and vocally advocate for quality first
- Learn new practices and techniques as the situation demands
- Ensure the teams develop demonstrable software every week or two
- Do what needs to be done to deliver the product or project without ego or attitude
- Dig deep to find the root causes of problems so we can create the right solutions
- Relentlessly improve yourself, your t
811 E. Washington Ave., Suite 400, Madison, WIPosition Type
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact us at 608-205-8868 for assistance.