Job Description Summary
The Utility (General Laborer) position covers a wide variety of jobs requiring work in packaging, warehouse, production, batter room and outside as directed by the supervisory or lead personnel. This description covers all responsibilities for each department where utilities are required.
- Perform the set up and breakdown of tote bins and pallets.
- Properly stack knocked down totes and pallets.
- Operate power hand jack and tote bin dump.
- Repeatedly lift and stack cases of finished product as assigned.
- Maintain good housekeeping in his/her assigned area: Sweep, shovel potatoes (add) , fries, and other debris, rake, vacuum, hose, scrape, paint, pull vines and shovel snow as directed.
- Rework damaged or restricted cases and bags of product.
- Change, scrape and/or change frozen and preparation grader screens as directed by Team Leader or Lead personnel.
- Adapt to different work environments: work in the wet prep area, outside, packaging and batter area. Shipping (add)
- Perform frozen inspection duties.
- Stand or sit in a stationary position to perform duties.
- Work in Raw Receiving pulling rocks and vines, as trucks are unloaded.
- Load KDs on Line 1, 2, 7 & 8 Case Opening Positioning System (COPS) in packaging.
- Inspect bags for seal condition and bag codes during poly runs.
- Work around Line 1, 2, 7 & 8 fryers and other processing equipment.
- Hand pack hash brown patties into trays
- Sort whole onions for cutting by size
- Scrape and remove static product on Lines 1, 2, 7 & 8 packaging equipment to include: grader room, Ishida room and glue deck.
- Dumps waste barrels in packaging and production area.
- Actively practice and abide by all company work, safety and personal hygiene rules and regulations as outlined in the employee handbook.
- Hand loading of railcars.
- Hand palletizing of line flow when shrink-wrap machine is inoperable.
- Inspect Lines 1, 2, 7 & 8 cased product for case condition and legible codes.
- Notify Team Leader or lead in the event that case condition or codes are not acceptable.
- Notify Team Leader or lead of Lines 1, 2, 7 & 8 glue deck stoppages.
- Assure gutter grates are kept in place.
- Prepare and/or mix cleaning and sanitizing chemicals.
- Use foaming equipment to apply cleaning chemicals to equipment.
- Scrub equipment using scrub brushes and/or pads to clean, sanitize, and polish equipment using dilute cleaning chemicals.
- Rinse cleaning chemicals off equipment using a high-pressure water hose.
- Maintain good housekeeping in his/her assigned area: Sweep with a broom and/or squeegee, shovel, scrub using scrub brushes and/or pads and scrapers, and rinse equipment with high-pressure water and/or air hoses.
- Periodically inspects Personal Protective Equipment; chemical suit, goggles, face shield, boots and gloves for serviceability. Notify Sanitation Supervisor if replacement is required.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Team Leader or lead personnel.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. To successfully perform this job, an individual must:
- Have the ability and willingness to follow instructions.
- Be knowledgeable of safe lifting techniques.
- Actively practice and abide by all Company work, safety and personal hygiene rules and regulations as outlined in the employee handbook.
- Be knowledgeable of the potential hazards and safety procedures associated with the task being done.
- Be able to communicate in English orally and/or in writing.
- Have the ability to work with other employee's one on one or in a small group setting to accomplish plant goals as directed by Team Leader staff.
- Have the ability carry out instructions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job. While performing the duties of the job, the employee:
- Must be able to safely lift, push, and pull heavy items repeatedly.
- Must have good hand-eye coordination.
- Must have good finger and manual dexterity.
- Is required to reach with his/her hands and arms repetitively.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds on a frequent basis.
- Must have specific vision abilities, which include: close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the functions of this job. The employee:
Equipment and Tools Used
- Will regularly work near moving mechanical parts.
- Is frequently exposed to moderately cold surroundings.
- Is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and moderate to extreme heat.
- May occasionally be exposed to fumes or airborne particles, batter dust, toxic or caustic chemicals and vibration.
- Will regularly work in an environment in which the noise level is loud.
- May be assigned to work outside, both on and off plant property.
The following equipment and/or tools are used in performing the duties and responsibilities of this position:
- Rake, shovel, broom
- Pallet jack
- High-pressure air and water hose.
- Approved bump cap, ear protection, eye protection when using water hoses and chemical suits when using chemicals.