Elsevier's Clinical Solutions is a technology & information solutions business focused on helping doctors, nurses, other health care professionals around the world to improve patient outcomes. Our product portfolio spans market-leading solutions in Clinical Reference, Advanced Clinical Decision Support, Nursing, Patient Engagement and Precision Medicine.
The Clinical Solutions team is passionate about our mission to improve every patient outcome, and includes alumni from several top consulting firms. Our strategy team is a key driver of the direction we take in Clinical Solutions. The Head of Strategy for Clinical Solutions will be responsible for global strategy formulation and execution, corporate development activities including mergers & acquisitions, and other high priority projects and strategic initiatives related to achieving profitable growth. This individual drives strategic projects, conducts strategic analysis, provides market intelligence, and advises on strategic, operational, tactical, and business development objectives.
The Head of Strategy will be expected to contribute to the identification and realization of attractive growth opportunities, through both organic and inorganic means. S/he will lead a team of 7 strategy & pricing professionals globally.
The Head of Strategy, Elsevier Clinical Solutions will report to the SVP Strategy, Health Markets. This individual will work closely with the President, Elsevier Clinical Solutions, have broad exposure to Elsevier Clinical Solutions and be a key member of the Clinical Solutions Management Team.
Key responsibilities for this position include:
- Driving the understanding of changing user and customer needs, and competitor developments
- Leading / supporting strategic projects (including strategic opportunity assessment and implementation efforts) across the entire Clinical Solutions business, working directly with Clinical Solutions product and commercial teams
- Supporting the CS strategic planning process and board presentations, working closely with key stakeholders from the CS business units and Elsevier strategy
- Helping to define key strategic issues to be addressed
- Lead initiatives to create strategies to move into adjacent segments/markets
- Developing close working relationships with the senior management team and across the global organization
- Developing a broad understanding of the CS businesses and offerings
- Managing multiple research / analysis requests and projects at the same time
- Rapidly assembling and processing large amounts of information and being able to break a question/problem into its constituent elements
- Supporting / leading strategic M&A efforts, including scanning the market, establishing target lists, summarizing key targets, fit with CS strategy, estimates of target size and market size / growth, researching relevant market trends / data / facts , leading due diligence and deal teams, establishing partnerships and acquiring and divesting assets including financial forecasting, analysis and modelling, and implementation planning.
- Leading critical M&A analyses in a hypothesis-driven manner
- Providing strategic recommendations regarding CS M&A activities
- Building and managing a proactive M&A pipeline and environment
High priority cross-functional projects
- Providing leadership and guidance to the head of strategic pricing
- Providing strategic guidance on certain high priority strategic pricing projects for new product launches or new market expansions
- Serving as trusted advisor to President of Clinical Solutions on high priority cross-functional initiatives and projects
- Ensuring successful execution of key projects by coordinating efforts across multiple functions and stakeholders
The ideal candidate will have a healthcare consulting background, combined with an MBA degree and strong business experience. The ideal candidate should possess the following:Competencies and skills
Education and experience
- Demonstrated ability to think structurally about a business, able to employ sophisticated tools and analysis to identify potential areas of significant business value for a company
- Strong core strategy skillset, including ability to structure problems, conduct thorough quantitative/qualitative analyses with incomplete information and summarize findings
- Superior research skills and resourcefulness to draw logical conclusions with often limited / imperfect information
- Strategically, analytically and intellectually assertive with strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong sense of personal ownership - a self-starter with an ability to "get things done"
- Sense of pace and urgency into the business and seek to sustain momentum
- Strong leadership skills and team orientation
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to create constructive relationships with leadership and peers in matrixed org
- Confident and persuasive communicator, the ability to be an assertive influencer
- Excellent university degree (e.g. Medicine, Life Sciences, Business); advanced degree (MBA or PhD) preferred
- 5+ years post-MBA experience in strategy, gained with a major strategy consulting firm and/or working in strategy in a major global company
- At least 4 years of experience in the health sector
- End-to-end experience with M&A, from pipeline development to due diligence
- Experience in a matrix environment with demonstrated success at defining an agenda despite inherent conflicting opinions, demands, and priorities
- Financial acumen, comfortable working with financial models and reports
- Information solutions experience preferred
We would prefer for this candidate to be based in the Northeast USA, with an ability to travel to the Philadelphia office at least 2-4 days per month
Elsevier is an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. If a qualified individual with a disability or disabled veteran needs a reasonable accommodation to use or access our online system, that individual should please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or if you are based in the US you may also contact us on 1.855.833.5120.
This job has expired.