The Nebraska Department of Transportation (NDOT) is offering a $2,500* hiring bonus to dedicated and hardworking team players interested in joining our Highway Maintenance and Construction teams, and who are willing and able to operate a snowplow! New hires who begin employment after November 7, 2022, and hold their CDL at time of hire, will receive a pro-rated bonus. New hires who obtain their CDL after hire are also eligible for a pro-rated bonus. If you don't already have your CDL, we'll provide free/paid training and support you every step of the way! Bonuses will be paid out in installments every pay period from November 2022 through April 2023.
Come join us in our mission to enhance the quality of life for Nebraskans by building and maintaining a convenient, safe, and innovative statewide transportation system!
We reward our employee's hard work with a friendly and supportive work environment and a comprehensive benefits package which includes:
• State-matched retirement contribution of 156%!
• 13 paid holidays
• Generous leave accruals that begin immediately
• A culture that embraces work-life balance
• Military leave
• Tuition reimbursement program
• Dependent tuition reimbursement program with partnering Nebraska community colleges
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF) through the Federal government
• 79% employer paid health insurance plans
• Dental and vision insurance plans
• Employer-paid $20,000 life insurance policy
• Wide variety and availability of career advancement as the largest and most diverse employer in the State
• Opportunity to be part of meaningful work and make a difference through public service
• Training and development based on your career aspirations
• Job security and stability, even during times of economic hardship
• Employee Assistance Program
• Fun, inviting teammates
Pay rate of $16.626 to start. Employees may be promoted to a Construction Technician II position at a rate of $19.125 upon acquiring necessary certifications and demonstration of skills.
Please reach out to Alexis Vlademar, Talent Acquisition Partner, at 402-525-2304, if you have questions or to learn more.
Apply today using our new quick apply process! Just attach your resume when prompted. No resume? Use the text box provided to tell us about your experience and qualifications.
Location: Lincoln - Superior Street
Examples of Work
- Successful candidates will be trained to perform inspection duties on highway construction projects.
- This may include but is not limited to, the sampling and testing of construction materials, the documentation of the contractor's daily work, and performing surveying activities related to highway construction.
- Candidates will learn the necessary mathematic skills needed to be trained to read and interpret construction and bridge plans effectively.
- All training will be done under direct supervision.
- Successful candidates will be trained and required to obtain a Commercial Driver's License (CDL).
- Candidates will be trained to operate snow removal equipment and perform snow removal activities as needed.
- Candidates will be required to work varying hours outdoors on highway construction projects.
- Hours are typically based on the contractor's schedule and this may include nights, evenings, and weekends.
- Other work may be indoors in an office setting documenting construction-related activities using computer record-keeping software.
- Successful candidates will be provided all the necessary training, materials, equipment, and safety apparel to perform assigned duties.
Qualifications / Requirements
REQUIREMENTS: Applicants must be at least 18 years of age and have a valid driver's license.
PREFERRED: Experience in surveying, road construction, materials testing, record keeping, trigonometry, and geometry. Experience in the operation of heavy equipment or snow removal equipment. Computer experience including word processing, spreadsheets, SiteManager, GEOPAK and MicroStation software.
OTHER: Must possess a valid Class A or B CDL within 6 months of employment. Required training and costs associated with obtaining the CDL will be paid for by the Department. Regular and reliable attendance is required.
In order to be hired at the Highway Construction Technician II level, applicants must have passed the NDOT Math, Highway Plan Reading, and Bridge Plan reading courses or have an Associate's degree in civil engineering technology, or a related field may be substituted for the completion of the NDOT courses. Upon hire you will be provided with the required training material. This is self-paced training and once completed provides for promotion to the Highway Construction Tech II level. Typically, this is accomplished within the first 6 months of employment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Effective communication skills. Must be able to lift up to 100 pounds, climb, bend, stoop, walk long distances and work long hours in outdoor temperature extremes. Must be able to report to work outside scheduled work hours for snow and other highway emergencies within 40 minutes under normal driving conditions.
*Bonus amounts will be pro-rated for teammates hired on or after November 7, 2022, and for teammates hired without a CDL.
NDOT encourages applicants of all ages and experiences.
*By registering with our site, you agree to our
Grand Island, Nebraska
Posted about 23 hours ago
Broken Bow, Nebraska
Posted about 23 hours ago
Posted about 23 hours ago