The Nebraska Department of Transportation (NDOT) is offering a $2,500* hiring bonus to dedicated and hardworking team players interested in joining our Highway Maintenance and Construction teams, and who are willing and able to operate a snowplow! New hires who begin employment after November 7, 2022, and hold their CDL at time of hire, will receive a pro-rated bonus. New hires who obtain their CDL after hire are also eligible for a pro-rated bonus. If you don't already have your CDL, we'll provide free/paid training and support you every step of the way! Bonuses will be paid out in installments every pay period from November 2022 through April 2023.
Come join us in our mission to enhance the quality of life for Nebraskans by building and maintaining a convenient, safe and innovative statewide transportation system!
We reward our employee's hard work with a friendly and supportive work environment and a comprehensive benefits package which includes:
• State-matched retirement contribution of 156%!
• 13 paid holidays
• Generous leave accruals that begin immediately
• Military leave
• Tuition reimbursement program
• Dependent tuition reimbursement program with partnering Nebraska community colleges
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF) through the Federal government
• 79% employer paid health insurance plans
• Dental and vision insurance plans
• Employer-paid $20,000 life insurance policy
• Wide variety and availability of career advancement as the largest and most diverse employer in the State
• Opportunity to be part of meaningful work and make a difference through public service
• Training and Development based on your career aspirations
• Job security and stability, even during times of economic hardship
• Employee Assistance Program
• Fun, inviting teammates
Pay rate of $16.626 to start. Proficiency and certification in the operation of heavy highway maintenance equipment will result in eligibility for promotion to a Highway Maintenance Worker/Senior at $17.901 per hour.
Please reach out to Alexis Vlademar, Talent Acquisition Partner, at 402-525-2304, if you have questions or to learn more.
Apply today using our new quick apply process! Just attach your resume when prompted. No resume? Use the text box provided to tell us about your experience and qualifications.
Location: Columbus, NE
Examples of Work
• Operate trucks and other light equipment to complete highway maintenance work.
• Operate tractors with various attachments, including disc, harrows, seeders, sprayers and hand mowers to maintain highways and highway right of ways.
• Operate post drivers for the installation of signs, fences, and guardrails and other hand held power and manual tools.
• Perform tree trimming and brush cutting.
• Maintain yards and performs building maintenance and cleaning.
• Paint buildings and various structures.
• Perform varied maintenance functions such as concrete and bituminous patching and sealing of cracks in highways and structures.
• Manually provide highway traffic control for construction and maintenance projects according to safety procedures.
• Physically move, drag, life, load, and unload various equipment, materials, supplies, and hazardous materials or objects from the roadway within weight restrictions; spread and tamp surfacing materials.
• Complete routine and general maintenance and mechanical repair on equipment.
• May apply chemicals of selective and non-selective herbicides spray to highway right of way.
• May be assigned to the night shift with variant end times.
Qualifications / Requirements
REQUIREMENTS: Must be at least 18 years of age, and possess a valid driver's license.
PREFERRED: Experience in the operation of heavy equipment and truck driving skills. A valid Class A Commercial Driver's License with tanker endorsement. Commercial Pesticide applicator's license. Basic computer experience.
OTHER: A valid Class A Commercial Drivers license with tanker endorsement is required within 6 months of employment. Required training and costs associated with obtaining the CDL will be paid for by the Department. Must be a safe worker that is team-oriented. Regular and reliable attendance is also required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of: safe operation of power and motor-driven equipment; public safety procedures; methods and materials used in servicing tools and automotive equipment.
Ability to: perform heavy manual labor for long periods of time and endure working outside in all types of weather and on high-speed highways, runways, and similar locations; paint, spread, or apply maintenance and construction materials, and communicate information so others will understand; read labels, notices, and directions, and follow instructions; learn the operation of various heavy-duty vehicles and safety requirements related to this equipment; learn the operation of two-way radios and other equipment; safely move, drag, lift 35 pounds frequently, up to 60 pounds occasionally (without assistance), and 90 or more pounds infrequently (with assistance); climb, bend or stoop.
Must be able to report to work for snow and other highway emergencies within 30 minutes under normal driving conditions and be placed in an "on-call" status.
*Bonus amounts will be pro-rated for teammates hired on or after November 7, 2022, and for teammates hired without a CDL.
NDOT encourages applicants of all ages and experience to apply.
*By registering with our site, you agree to our
Grand Island, Nebraska
Posted about 3 hours ago
Broken Bow, Nebraska
Posted about 3 hours ago
Posted about 3 hours ago