HVAC Mechanic II - 500578
Provide service and maintenance for all aspects of mechanical operations and heating, ventilating, and air-conditioning (HVAC) and refrigeration equipment (especially large commercial and specialty systems) so as to support the University's educational mission. Provide oversight of contractors working on the university campus performing Mechanical trade work.
- Performs troubleshooting and repair of the following systems to maximize up time:
- Commercial HVAC equipment including chillers, air-conditioners, heat pumps, ice machines, refrigeration, heating converters, boilers and furnaces etc.
- Electrical power associated with HVAC including starters, fuses, circuit breakers, etc.
- Control systems including pneumatic and electronic.
- Chemical feed systems.
- Specialty equipment (e.g. scientific refrigeration/other equipment)
- Other department-specific equipment (e.g. fountains, pools, etc.)
- Performs HVAC systems inspections and manufacturer recommended preventive maintenance.
- Performs major component replacement work in conjunction with central energy management and control systems.
- Maintain a safe working environment
- Ability to plan and carry out project or maintenance work independently.
- Act as technical resource for other tradesmen to solve maintenance issues.
- Assist in special events as required to ensure successful outcome
- All Facilities employees are expected to exercise behavior in accordance with University policies as well as with the Facilities Mission and statement of Core Values.
- All Facilities employees are expected to comply to safety standards and demonstrate safe work habits.
- Subject to being on-call for emergency service after normal hours on rotating basis with other tradesmen in shop.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Understanding of building systems; Air handling systems, central plants (boilers and chillers with associated systems), HVAC water systems, and terminal devices.
- Basic computer knowledge; Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Web Browsing, and folder management; and the ability to learn new computer software programs (CMMS)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; ability to read and follow directions in English; ability to communicate with diplomacy and to maintain confidentiality.
- Strong skills in problem solving, multi-tasking, public relations, and customer service.
- Strong time management and organizational skills, and ability to prioritize work assignments
- General knowledge of the use small electric and hand tools and the ability to use basic electrical testing devices.
- Ability to work without supervision while prioritizing assignments appropriately.
- Must maintain neat and professional appearance.
- Must be courteous and professional with all customers and co-workers.
- Must accomplish work while exercising safety standards and guidelines.
- Responsible for maintenance and upkeep of assigned vehicle.
- Must be able to communicate both orally and in writing.
- REQUIRED: Must have a valid Driver's License and be able to produce a driving record with a minimum of 3 years of driving history in good standing.
- High School diploma or GED.
- Strong customer service background is desirable. Technical training in mechanical work evidenced by obtaining or ability to obtain Journeyman's Mechanical License (typically 3 years Technical Trade School).
- Hold Refrigerant Handling Certification (Universal preferred).
- Full-time, non-exempt position
- Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.; 8 hours a day; 40 hours per week; flexibility required.
- All Facilities employees are designated as essential personnel, and are subject to work outside the normal work schedule on an emergency basis, and are also subject to planned overtime work as required by the immediate supervisor.
Pay Grade 6 (Hiring Range $21.53 to $28.52 per hour) COVID-19:
The University of Richmond requires COVID-19 vaccinations for all students, faculty, and staff. The University allows exemptions to this requirement for religious, medical and strong personal conviction reasons. All newly hired employees must report their status within the first two weeks of employment. ABOUT UR
At the University of Richmond, we're creative, inclusive, and determined. We're Spiders, and our mission is to create positive change in the UR community and beyond. Located minutes from downtown Richmond, Virginia, the University of Richmond ( www.richmond.edu ) blends the intimacy of a small college with exceptional academic, research, and cultural opportunities usually found only at large institutions. There's only one place like Richmond.
UR is committed to developing a diverse faculty, staff and student body, and to modeling an inclusive campus community which values the expression of differences in ways that promote excellence in teaching, learning, personal development and institutional success. In keeping with this commitment, our academic community welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds and candidates who support diversity. EOE
This job has expired.