College Board Technology Division - Item Cloud Team
About the Team:
The Item Cloud team is committed to building and driving innovation for internal-facing web applications that support College Board's core products. Our team consists of 2 small squads, each of which owns a unique, data-intensive, high-impact, single-page web application that represent our internal content creation processes. We own the full stack, from the infrastructure in AWS to the front-end and back-end code deployed there. We build everything serverless, in the cloud, leveraging current technologies and novel techniques to be a force-multiplier for the programs we serve. We are remote, but close-knit. We are strong advocates of work/life balance and flexibility with schedules when needed. We often accomplish our work through paired or mob programming. We are proactive, passionate, and outcome-oriented, putting a premium on quality and efficiency. We use Agile scrum to manage our work and deliver value regularly following a DevOps model. The impact of our efforts as creative problem-solvers and idea-generators leads to innovations and dramatic improvements in College Board's biggest program applications, serving millions of students to help them take ownership of their future.
In this role, you will:
- Lead the design and implementation, in collaboration with team members, data-intensive, highly secure, primarily React-based components
- Develop and maintain a thorough understanding of our customer's business processes and operations
- Participate in pair programming and mob programming sessions, solving complex problems, and innovating on new ideas
- Refactor ugly code to be simple and readable
- Lead conversations and work on POC's on proposed architecture, testing strategies, the developer experience, security, performance, and fault-tolerance.
- Mentor and help junior engineers in their growth
As a Lead Full Stack Engineer on our Item Cloud team, you are a poly skilled technologist and problem-solver. You have extensive knowledge and expertise designing, implementing, and testing web-based solutions and will apply this to deliver a high-impact content creation web application that integrates with a newly emerging content management ecosystem. You are communicative, approachable, self-driven, and collaborative. These traits combined with your experience will allow you to handle more challenging stories than other developers, while also reviewing others' code, offering insights and pointers to those with less experience. You will handle epic's to see through from beginning to end.
About Our Culture:
- Ideally 7+ years of software development experience in a production environment
- Strong experience with React, TypeScript, CSS, GraphQL, Node.js, REST and CRUD
- Experience with AWS resources including any mix of Route 53, EC2, S3, CloudFront, VPCs, Security Groups, ELB, Lambdas, IAM, CloudWatch and SecretsManager Hands-on experience with cloud-based technologies, ideally with AWS
- Advanced knowledge of AuthN, AuthZ and/or RBAC
- Experience with infrastructure-as-code (Terraform, CDK), functional programming concepts, Test-Driven Development (TDD), Behavior-Driven Development (BDD)
- Hands-on experience with Docker, CI/CD and NoSQL
- Knowledgeable in DevOps best practices, Developer Experience (DX) topics, and User Experience (UX) concepts
- Practical experience with Unit and Integration testing
- We are motivated to positively impact the educational and career trajectories of millions of students a year
- We prioritize building a diverse and inclusive team where every employee can thrive, and every voice is heard
- We value learning and growth; we offer formal and informal ways to lead through your strengths, sharpen your skills, and achieve your development goals
- We work with the latest technologies, so you will be industry-forward instead of left behind