Under the supervision of the Manager of Litigation Legal Assistants / Specialists and attorneys, the Legal Assistant will work closely with the Litigation Practice Group to provide support to lawyers throughout the litigation / arbitration process. This includes the initial information gathering stage, support with preparation of pleadings and correspondence, discovery (including assistance with the retrieval, review and production of documents), briefing (including assistance with filing in state and federal courts), trials, hearings, administrative proceedings, settlements, as well as careful archival of case material. The Legal Assistant must be exceptionally organized and proactive, willing and able to take ownership of tasks, and must deliver work product of the highest quality.
- Assist with document retrieval, review, organization, and production.
- Maintain case pleadings, correspondence, discovery and research.
- Manage case calendars.
- Support trial, hearing and arbitration preparation and assist in related proceedings.
- Compile document collection, production and privilege logs; prepare exhibit lists.
- Coordinate depositions and prepare witness kits.
- Support attorneys with court filings, including adherence to strict deadlines and local / individual court practices.
- Support preparation of documents in accordance with federal and state court rules.
- Conduct legal research using Bloomberg, Lexis, Westlaw Next, Pacer, etc.
- Coordinate work with outside document and litigation vendors.
- Cite-check, Shepardize and Bluebook briefs; prepare tables of contents and authorities, assemble accompanying exhibits.
- Prepare and release daily diaries and weekly timesheets.
- Prepare audit response letters.
- Assist with special projects, e.g., monitor topics of interest to attorneys, coordinate meetings, etc.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- Ability to produce high-quality work product under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Ability to carefully and accurately follow instructions and prioritize work appropriately.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise discretion in a professional manner.
- Ability to take ownership of tasks and think creatively.
- Ability to work independently and as a team player.
- Ability to analyze information and solve problems.
- Knowledge of factual issues and court procedures for assigned matters.
Education & Experience
- BS/BA degree.
- 3-5 years' experience as a litigation paralegal.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency with Excel and PowerPoint.
- Trial experience.
- Experience in cite-checking and the Bluebook.
- Experience in preparation of audit response letters.
Physical Activity/Other Miscellaneous
- Flexibility to work outside standard business hours.
- Flexibility to travel as needed.
- Ability to lift/carry up to 15 pounds.
This job has expired.