8901 - Corp Office West Crk - 12800 Tuckahoe Creek Parkway, Richmond, Virginia, 23238
CarMax, the way your career should be!
About this job:
The Payroll Manager is responsible for overseeing the day to day payroll operations to ensure timely and accurate payment to our associates. This position manages resources appropriately to balance workload, resolves escalated issues and focuses on associate development. The Manager will champion change, recommend and implement process improvements while building and maintaining strong partnerships with other business areas within and outside of the organization. The Manager is the main point of contact for Payroll associate questions defined by the management team.
What you will do - Essential Responsibilities:
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Lead and develop a team of associates through timely performance feedback delivered during day-to-day observations, periodic file reviews and an annual performance evaluation. Peer review the work of others to ensure accuracy. The Manager is responsible for ensuring individual development plans are created and annual business objectives are set. Review and discuss progress on a monthly basis by playing an active role in the team's development.
- Review members SLA's on an ongoin basis, seek customer feedback and use it to provide feedback in order to provide unrivaled customer service. Create and maintain documentation of processes.
- Engage with internal and external business partners to resolve payroll issues.
- Ensure all payroll processing deadlines are met to ensure timely settlement of the bi-weekly and weekly payrolls.
- Lead and participate in projects with internal and external business partners to support business needs and promote continual process improvement.
- Review account reconciliation's, manage Kronos (associate time/attendance system), review and approve journal entries and departmental staff productivity.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Degree in Accounting, Finance or HR discipline preferred; In lieu of degree 4 years of progressive accounting or HR experience
- Three or more years of experience in a multi-state payroll environment
- Strong understanding of Payroll and Payroll Tax laws, regulations and processes
- One or more years of experience leading teams to achieve common goals, including managing the work of direct and/or indirect reports
- Project management experience is preferred but not required
- Computer skills: Microsoft Office (Intermediate Excel a minimum)
- Certified Payroll Professional (or FPC) certification preferred
- Ability to motivate, inspire and gain buy-in from leadership and direct reports
- Ability to champion and adapt to change
- Ability to use all resources to make good decisions
- Ability to prioritize competing responsibilities appropriately
- Ability to play an active role in associate development and continually offer support
- Ability to empower and challenge team members of all skill levels to reach their full potential
- Ability to hold associates to a high standard of internal and external customer service
- Ability to engage with customers to actively understand needs and that they are fulfilled
- Ability to address process or resource issues that impact the day to day operations or the customer
- Ability to communicate in a clear and open manner through verbal, written, and non-verbal methods, to all levels of the organization
- Ability to summarize or present complex and/or technical information into easy-to-understand pieces
- Ability to solve problems at the root-cause level and subsequently use available resources to make good decisions
- Ability to read and comprehend basic business reports and analyses
Upon an applicant's request, CarMax will consider reasonable accommodation to complete the CarMax Job Application.