Cooley Dickinson is the hospital where Medical Interpreters can grow and accelerate their careers. We are seeking professionals who are committed to the highest quality patient care and will contribute to our on-going pursuit of excellence.
With energy and purpose, Cooley Dickinson Health Care, a member of the Mass General Brigham system, is advancing health care in western Massachusetts, and has been since 1886. Our network employs more than 2,000 medical professionals and support staff, at our main Hospital campus in Northampton and additional locations in twelve towns throughout the Pioneer Valley. Cooley Dickinson's VNA & Hospice is also a vital part of our network, providing home-based services throughout Hampshire and Franklin counties.
Accolades and Recognition
Our staff has been consistently recognized for the quality of care and commitment to patient safety provided on a daily basis. Some of these awards include:
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)
- 5-star rating
- The American Association of Critical Care Nurses (AACN)
- Beacon Award for Excellence
- Human Rights Campaign Foundation
- LGBTQ+ Healthcare Equality Leader designation
- The American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP) awarded a Level 3
- Geriatric Emergency Department Accreditation (GEDA)
- Baby-Friendly USA designated
- Baby-Friendly Hospital
- Newsweek Magazine and Statista named us one of the country's
- Best Maternity Hospitals
- Cooley Dickinson has earned six consecutive 'A' Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade and the Top General Hospital award
In addition to competitive pay, all Cooley Dickinson employees who work 20 hours or more per week have access to the following benefits with no waiting period:
a range of health, dental, vision, prescription and life insurance benefits
a generous and flexible Earned Time Off program starting at six weeks accrual per year
403(b) retirement plan with various investment options
opportunities and support for continued education including tuition reimbursement
The Medical Interpreter is responsible for performing interpretations in the target language for scheduled and unscheduled patient encounters.
This position is part of the 1199SEIU Bargaining Unit at Cooley Dickinson Hospital.
This position reports to the Manager, Medical Interpreter Services and operates within established organizational and departmental policies and procedures.Qualifications
- Education and training related to medical interpretation in target language required
- 60-hour Interpreter Training Certificate (AHEC or equivalent) required
- National certification by an organization accredited by The National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA), (NBCMI) National Board of Certification for Medical Interpreters, or (CCHI) Certification Commission for Healthcare Interpreter preferred
- Oral and written fluency of English and target language and demonstrated proficiency in medical terminology required
- One (1) to Two (2) years of interpreting experience preferred. Experience in a health care setting preferred
- Valid driver's license and reliable transportation to fill requests in surrounding physician offices required
- Flexible hours required
It is the policy of Cooley Dickinson Health Care to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Cooley Dickinson Health Care will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Cooley Dickinson Health Care embraces diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, and encourages people of color, veterans, people with disabilities, LGBTQ candidates, and people from other underrepresented groups to apply.