A.T. Still University's Missouri School of Dentistry and Oral Health (ATSU-MOSDOH) is seeking a Student Doctor Translator on the St. Louis, Missouri, campus. The Student Doctor Translator is responsible for translating written materials from English to another language and ensuring that the translated text conveys original meaning, format, and tone. Additional responsibilities include researching industry-specific medical and dental terminology, using specialized dictionaries, and proofreading completed work. He or she will work under the supervision of the project director to complete assigned translations of clinical forms and patient education materials in a timely manner.
Major Job Duties
- Facilitate effective communication between patients with limited English proficiency (LEP) and healthcare (dental) providers by translating clinic forms and other printed materials from one language to another.
- Convert and format written materials from one language to another, such as clinic forms, brochures, education materials, or surveys.
- Create a new text in the target language that reproduces the content and style of the original.
- Edit and proofread text to accurately reflect language.
- Receive and submit assignments electronically.
- Use dictionaries and glossaries for reference. Attach cited references to translated documents.
- Employ limited computer-assisted translation with caution, assure accuracy.
- Translate medical and dental terminology. Build an electronic depository of dental terms in the target language.
- Translate patient materials and informational brochures from English to the target language.
- Assure cultural proficiency of translated materials.
- Maintain a record of work completed, follow work protocol set by the project director.
- Communicate effectively with project director and team members.
- Save copies of all translations in various formats.
- Work with translation software.
- Attend training/calibration meetings.
- Keep shared work folders in Google drive updated.
- Prepare for and take translator certification exam.
- Develop and deliver patient education materials and programs.
- Work with community organizations on facilitating outreach programs to ethnically diverse communities.
- Must possess expert-level language skills in both English and Pashto and Dari.
- Must have knowledge of dental and medical terms in English and facilitate translations of terms and general text to target language.
- Have the ability to translate written material in a culturally and linguistically appropriate manner.
- Be able to work with MS Word, Google docs, and Google sheets documents, utilizing foreign alphabets and other
translation tools as needed.
- Have strong organization and communication skills.
- Be a team player and work collaboratively with other members of the team, project director, expert reviewer, and other entities.
- Computer skills are required as translated materials must be saved in several formats and organized in a Google drive folder.
Aside from translating assigned materials, the student doctor translator will be required to prepare for a translator certification exam. He or she will be required to travel to the city and location where the exam will be administered.QualificationsEducation
Bachelors or better.SkillsCollaboration