This job has expired.
1. Removes bottom ash and fly ash from boilers and hoppers to ensure safe and efficient operation of the boiler and to comply with environmental standards.
2. Maintains coal bunker levels, chemical tank levels and oil tank levels to ensure proper operation of the plant.
3. Cleans coal handling systems and other areas as assigned on an ongoing basis to prevent safety and environmental hazards.
4. Inspects auxiliary equipment pertaining to coal and ash handling to ensure safe and continuous operations.
5. Assists in firing, operation and shutdown of high pressure boilers, turbine generator and other auxiliary equipment to provide steam to the customer.
6. Assists in boiler and water treatment analyses, as necessary, to ensure efficient plant operation. Makes adjustments as necessary.
7. Assist in continuous monitoring of boilers and all plant equipment.
8. Respond to plant problems in a safe and efficient manner.
9. Continually train in areas of safety and plant operations.
Secondary Job Functions
Performs other related functions as assigned including, but not limited to, coal unloading.
2. Performs minor building maintenance to enhance a safe work environment.
Involves rotating shifts (8 or 12 hours) to include some weekends and holidays.
Overtime can be either voluntary or mandatory and includes scheduled overtime.
Education: High school graduate or equivalent. Vo-tech training or equivalent as a boiler operator.
Experience: One year of work in a large, high pressure steam heating plant or in high pressure boiler operation.
Licenses/Certifications: Second Class B or higher stationary engineer's license; valid driver's license.
Other: Must successfully complete pre-employment physical after a conditional job offer has been made.
Must successfully complete drug and alcohol screening as required.
Probationary Period: In accordance with CBA Article 2.01, 60 days for a transfer to a new classification or promotion.
Overall Strength Level: Medium
Sedentary (S): Usually involves sitting most of the time; exerting up to 10 lbs. of force occasionally or negligible force frequently; includes standing and walking for brief periods of time occasionally.
Light (L): Exert up to 20 lbs. of force occasionally, or up to 10 lbs. frequently, or a negligible amount of force continuously. Includes (1) significant walking or standing or (2) sitting most of the time, but entails pushing and pulling of arm or leg controls.
Medium (M): Lifting 50 lbs. maximum and/or frequent lifting or carrying objects weighing up to 25 lbs.
Heavy (H): Lifting 100 lbs. maximum and/or frequently lifting or carrying objects weighing up to 50 lbs.
Very Heavy (VH): Lifting in excess of 100 lbs. and/or frequently lifting or carrying objects weighing 50 lbs. or more.
Frequency: S - Seldom: Less than 10%; O - Occasionally: 11% - 33%; F - Frequently: 34%-55%; C - Continuously: 66%
ACTIVITY ASSOCIATED WEIGHTS FREQUENCY EXAMPLE Lifting
35 - 50 lbs.
Salt and lime bags, parts, tools.
50 lbs. Force
Wheelbarrows with coal, 2-wheel carts.
Working on platform.
Check oil levels, read meters.
Repairs, open & close valves, soot blowing.
Open & close valves, forceful grasp.
Adjusting pumps, repairs.
Check bearings for heat, vibration.
Exact terms communication.
Evaluate machine sounds.
Operate forklift, bobcat.
Recognize coal fires, acid spills.
Water testing, temperature gauges, computer & paperwork.
Assistance available for lifting over 50 pounds. Two-wheel cart can be used to move items weighing more than 50 pounds.
Inside - Environmental Conditions
Not all areas temperature controlled.
Outside - Environmental Conditions
Subject to weather conditions.
Working near boilers.
Steam in pump rooms.
Grating, cement, dirt.
Machine parts, bobcat, dump truck, forklift.
Diesel fuel, propane, natural gas.
Fuel oil, lubricating oil, grease.
Fumes, Dust, Odors, Mists
Coal dust, ash dust, welding/torch fumes, flue gas.
Present: exposed if distributed.
Open stairs, tops of boilers.
Boiler chemicals, water treatment chemicals.
Wet floors, coal, ash.
Potential with natural gas, coal dust, propane.
DEGREE OF USE
LIGHT MODERATE EXTENSIVE Boilers
X Pumps, Fans, Air Compressors, Stokers, Pulverizers
Hand & Power Tools
Wheelbarrow, 2 & 4-Wheel Carts
Forklift, Bobcat, Tractor, etc.
Safety Equipment: Hard Hat, Heating & Eye Protection, Uniform, Steel Toe Work Boots, Respirators
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.