Senior Product Owner, Test Assembly and Content Packaging
College Board - AP&I
About the Team
As part of the larger AP and Instruction Department, the Digital Transformation Team is a strong and collaborative group of Product Owners, Product Managers, and Product Development professionals. The Digital Transformation team is responsible for managing a portfolio of digital assessment and instructional products and leading the work to transition paper assessment programs to the College Board's digital assessment platform. This team works closely with colleagues in Technology, User Experience, Operations, Assessment Design & Development, Psychometrics and Program Management to design and develop digital solutions that meet the needs of our users.
About the Opportunity
As the Senior Product Owner, Test Assembly and ContentPackaging, you drive the execution of the vision and the roadmap for our internal test assembly and packaging systems by collaborating with stakeholders across the organization and development teams. In this role, you will directly manage the backlog for a technology team and proactively incorporate feedback from stakeholders to deliver the highest priority features on the roadmap. As the Senior Product Owner, you will be great at building strong, productive relationships while guiding and leading development to produce tremendous value for our internal and external customers.
In this role, you will:
Deliver the highest priority features on the product roadmap that are aligned to the product vision and organizational priorities
Plan workflow to ensure successful delivery:
- Collaborate with product managers and other stakeholders to get details needed for the development team to successfully complete the work
- Own the backlog and facilitate backlog refinement with the team
- Ensure the product backlog is visible, transparent, and clear to all, and shows what the development team will work on next
- Break features into user stories with the development team
- Write user stories with clear acceptance criteria.The team decides how to contribute to the writing, but the PO owns accepting the story.
- Prioritize and sequence stories in the product backlog based on feature priority (which should be aligned to the roadmap priorities based on the product vision and organizational priorities)
Gather feedback on effectiveness:
- Collaborate with product manager(s) and stakeholders to gather data on effectiveness and quality of the test assembly and test packaging systems to inform prioritization of features
- Continuously get feedback from internal teams to inform prioritization of features, including sunsetting features that are no longer valuable
Guide work of product development team:
- Work daily with the product development team, including helping lead agile processes
- Translate strategy into effective decision making on shorter-term priorities, and can influence a broad set of stakeholders to mobilize around short-term decisions on resource use and scope management
- Actively participate in sprint planning, daily scrum, sprint review/demo, retrospective ceremonies
- Accept the work of a team as it is completed (generally in an end-of-sprint review/demo)
Collaborate with other teams to coordinate College Board resources:
Communicate progress outside of the team
- Work with other product owners to resolve dependencies and negotiate, coordinate, and align priorities to complete a feature
- Partner with Engineering Manager(s) to understand technical work and help drive product needs in a technical manner
Develop and communicate a product vision, roadmap, and goals
- Provide release information and product updates to internal stakeholders including leading demos, and other tactical communication to increase understanding of the features of the system.
- Develop product roadmap; work with the product manager to develop a shared understanding of the work ahead
- Develop communications for roadmap; in conjunction with the product manager, convey the product roadmap(s) to the development team
- Define feature-level outcomes; given established product-level goals, define goals for each feature (e.g., KPIs, OKRs) aligned to the product vision
- Shape resource investment across features; Prioritize use of resources (team time and money) across features and other workstreams
- Establish deep understanding of both users and the market; support the product manager in interpreting stakeholder feedback and market data to inform product development
About Our Culture
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent required; MBA or related master's degree preferred
- 5+ years relevant product owner experience, digital assessment and/or content engineering experience preferred
- Experience owning product features from inception through design to implementation and launch
- Experience working in an Agile product development work environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to complete complex tasks on short deadlines and in a fast-past environment
- Motivated, proactive leader who operates with a sense of urgency in solving problems and getting things done
- A customer-focused and organizationally aware mindset; inquisitive and possess tremendous learning agility
- Excellent prioritization skills
- Conflict resolution skills
- Experience distilling data to inform key decisions
- Preferred experience designing and communicating Objective and Key Results (OKRs), mentoring junior colleagues, and creating business cases and receiving buy-in from senior leadership
Our community matters, and we strive to practice and improve our culture daily. Here are some headlines:
About College Board
- We are motivated to positively impact the educational and career trajectories of millions of students a year.
- We prioritize building a diverse and inclusive team where every employee can thrive, and every voice is heard.
- We welcome staff to join any or all six of our affinity groups: ARISE (Alliance for Asian Retention, Inclusion, Success, and Engagement; DIASPORA (Alliance for Pan-African Success and Achievement); Pride (alliance for LGBTQ+ staff and allies); Resilience (alliance for Native staff and advocates); SALSA (Staff Alliance for Latinx Success and Achievement); and WIN (Women's Impact Network).
- We value learning and growth; we offer formal and informal ways to lead through your superpowers, sharpen your strengths, and meet your development goals.
- We know that our impact is strongest together. Our College Board Cares program offers all staff up to $1,000 annual match against partner non-profit organizations.
- We offer a transparent approach to promotions and merit raises, annual performance-based bonuses, and how to grow your career here over time.
College Board is a mission-driven not-for-profit organization that connects students to college success and opportunity. Founded in 1900, College Board was created to expand access to higher education. Today, the membership association is made up of over 6,000 of the world's leading educational institutions and is dedicated to promoting excellence and equity in education. Each year, College Board helps more than seven million students prepare for a successful transition to college through programs and services in college readiness and college success-including the SAT®, the Advanced Placement® Program, and BigFuture®. The organization also serves the education community through research and advocacy on behalf of students, educators, and schools.Benefits and Compensation
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package that includes four weeks of paid time off, an organization-wide week-long winter break, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement, paid parental leave for everyone, fertility benefits, remote work from anywhere in the country, medical/dental/vision/pet insurance, generous rewards compensation plan, and ongoing professional development and training. Salary is commensurate with experience and work location.EEOC statement
College Board is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We're committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status.
This job has expired.