The Novelis Finishing plant located in Davenport, IA has an immediate opening for a Production Supervisor. This position reports to the Plant Manager.
Responsibilities & Qualifications
- Schedules and directs employees in assignment and completion of production work. Creates and trains a team of workers to achieve or exceed budgeted production goals while maintaining compliance with environmental and other regulatory requirements
- Checks the types, location, quantity, and availability of materials needed to complete the production requirements for the shift. Checks records from previous shift, and alerts maintenance of potential equipment problems. Directs incoming material shipments where, when and how to unload.
- Supports FFL initiatives and projects which drive continual improvement, foster a culture of safety leadership, development of employees, and support business objectives.
- Establishes or adjusts work procedures to meet schedules. Determines overtime work schedule and approves employee time in Kronos.
- Completes on a daily basis all production information to be entered.
- Interprets instructions, specifications, or job orders to employees.
- Monitors production output and quality data. Maintains time and production records. Compiles reports for management review. Provides hands-on operation of furnaces with responsibility for optimizing recoveries.
- Recommends measures to improve production methods, equipment performance, and quality of product.
- Suggests changes in working conditions and use of equipment to increase employee efficiency.
- Analyzes and resolves or assists workers in resolving work related problems.
- Conducts meetings with employees and ensures compliance with all health, safety and environmental regulations, and company policies and procedures.
- Confers with other supervisors to coordinate activities of individual departments or shifts.
- Provides relief supervision on weekends, nights and holidays or as needed.
- Directly supervises 10 to 20 production employees.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with Aleris policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include training employees, planning, assigning, and directing work, appraising performance, disciplining employees and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Work collaboratively with Maintenance and Engineering departments to support initiatives and activities for reliable people, processes, and equipment.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and two to three years directly related experience; or equivalent combination of education and directly related supervisory experience.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations is required.
- Proven ability to develop, implement and manage systems and procedures and work with minimal supervision while also leading others toward plant goal achievement.
- Must possess strong interpersonal, communication and team leadership skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Excel.
- Highly motivated, goal oriented, ethical and challenge driven.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment.
- Valid driver's license required.
The finishing mill in Davenport opened in 1906 and employees more than 100 people. The facility cold rolls aluminum to a desired gauge anneals to temper levels coats and slits the rolled sheet to size. The facility produces mill finish coil and painted coil to serve the building and construction industry. Davenport Finishing has an active social responsibility committee that supports many organizations in the local community including Habitat for Humanity Riverbend Food Bank CASI and more. The facility also sponsors local events including their partnership with Junior Achievement in sponsoring and presenting at the Advanced Manufacturing Career Day.
Novelis recognizes its talented and diverse workforce as a key competitive advantage. Novelis provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants. All terms and conditions of employment at Novelis, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoffs, recalls, transfers, leaves of absence, compensation and training, are without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.