We are a research laboratory that studies the neural basis of neurodegeneration, addiction, and psychiatric disorders seeking a Research Assistant to perform husbandry and assist in animal care functions for transgenic laboratory mice. This position will involve performing independent research activities and experiments using observation, measurement, and analytical techniques.
Duties to Include:
- Maintain colonies of genetically modified mice; handling, breeding, weaning, identification (ear punching), tail snipping, euthanizing, transferring, and shipping
- Perform extractions of nucleic acids from mouse tissues, genotyping, and assays of gene expression
- Perform routine experimental procedures in the animal models, observe for signs of phenotype, illness, injury or stress. Collect tissue samples and execute basic medical treatments of the mice, including the administration of drugs
- Work in a barrier, high health status environment with the ability to move between barrier and non-barrier facilities effectively and efficiently, without compromising health status of animals
- Work closely with the OAR facility and veterinarian staff to address concerns of animal care. Serve as liaison between the lab and OAR and IACUC
- Maintain compliance with IACUC regulations and update protocols as required
- Keep detailed inventory of all mouse lines and genetic profile results
- Order and maintain records of drugs/chemical agents and other supplies
- Assist in the maintenance of lab equipment, monitoring lab inventory, arranging service contracts and interfacing with technicians and vendors
- Assist graduate students and postdocs with experiments. This includes but is not limited to brain sectioning, histology, immunoblotting, survival and non-survival surgery, microscopy and behavioral experiments in rodents. Training will be provided
Our mission is to inspire and educate world class health care providers and scientists for the people of Iowa and our global community. Researchers in the College's over 280 laboratories are served by state-of-the-art core research facilities and research support facilities. Much of the research conducted is interdisciplinary and collaborations are fostered and coordinated through major research centers, institutes and programs. Many faculty members are internationally renowned for their research. Two faculty members are Howard Hughes Institute Investigators, 12 are members of the Institute of Medicine and two are members of the National Academy of Sciences.Percent of Time:
100% Staff Type:
Professional & Scientific Type of Position:
Specified Term. Initial appointment is for one year. Appointment may be extended based on performance and availability of funding. Pay Grade:
3A - https://hr.uiowa.edu/professional-pay/compensation-plan-structure-a-FY18Benefits Highlights
- Regular salaried position located in Iowa City, Iowa
- Fringe benefit package including paid vacation; sick leave; health, dental, life and disability insurance options; and generous employer contributions into retirement plans
- For more information about Why Iowa?, click here
- A Bachelor's degree in a biomedical related field, animal science, veterinary technology or other related science program or an equivalent combination of education and progressively responsible experience in an animal caretaking or research laboratory environment
- Previous experience in an animal caretaking or research laboratory environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, organizational skills, and interpersonal skills
- Experience with Microsoft Office
- Ability to work independently while being accountable and efficient with time management
- Previous experience with rodent colony management and caretaking
- IACUC knowledge and familiarity with compliance rules and regulations
- Familiar with procedures and regulations of the Office of Animal Resources
- Experience with DNA techniques: DNA isolation and PCR
- Experience with stereotaxic surgeries in rodents
In order to be considered, applicants must upload a CV or resume, and cover letter (under submission relevant materials) that clearly address how they meet the listed required and desired qualifications of this position.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days and may be removed from posting and filled any time after the original posting period has ended. Successful candidates will be subject to a credential and criminal background check. This position is not eligible for University sponsorship for employment authorization. Professional references will be requested at a later step in the recruitment process.
The department intends to hire for one position from either Research Assistant, requisition 23001875 or Research Associate, requisition 23001874, based on the qualifications of the successful candidate. Please apply to the specific position for which you wish to be considered.
For additional questions, please contact Anne Beyerink at email@example.com
- Classification Title: Research Assistant
- Appointment Type: Professional and Scientific
- Schedule: Full-time
This job has expired.
- Organization: Healthcare
- Contact Name: Anne Beyerink
- Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org