If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.
The Department of Physiology and Biophysics has an exciting opportunity for a Full Time Research Associate. The Research Associate will be responsible for managing transgenic mouse colonies, performing fluorescent immunohistochemistry and imaging , and assisting with general lab maintenance.
The Research Associate will function as part of Dr. Nirupa Chaudhari's dynamic and productive research team studying molecular, cellular and functional neuroscience for the sense of taste in the Department of Physiology and Biophysics. See https://med.miami.edu/en/labs/chaudhari-lab
Research Associate will learn molecular neuroscience techniques such as in situ hybridization, immunohistochemistry, confocal and wide-field fluorescence microscopy, and then will manage her/his semi-independent research project within the scope of Dr. Chaudhari's research program. The Research Associate will also be responsible for maintaining our colony of multiple transgenic mouse strains, and for some general lab management.
Specific duties and responsibilities for this position include:
- Manage colonies of transgenic mouse strains (design efficient breeding schedules, genotype and, maintain pedigree records and inventory).
- Carry out immunohistochemistry and in situ hybridization projects (including wide-field and confocal microscopy, documenting results, keeping comprehensive electronic and selected paper records, and consulting regularly with Supervisor, Dr. Chaudhari, to design and interpret experiments.
- Report progress to Supervisor frequently and at key decision points; present findings to lab group at weekly lab meetings.
- Lab maintenance (includes managing inventory, ordering supplies, keeping records, etc.)
- Provide occasional technical support to other investigators in the lab when requested (e.g. animal handling, phenotyping etc.)
- Train student workers/ new researchers and help with supervising them.
B.S. or B.A. in Biological Sciences, preferably with courses in neuroscience, cell/molecular biology, genetics, and laboratory experience in some of these disciplines. Experience in a research laboratory setting is essential (either full-time or as a student). Experience in the following would be most useful: general molecular biology methods, immunohistochemistry, fluorescence microscopy.
The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, tuition remission and more.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:
Full timeEmployee Type:
This job has expired.