The Carver College of Medicine Department of Medicine/Anatomy & Cell Biology is seeking a Research Support Specialist to provide financial support for the Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology by conducting a broad range of activities related to federal and non-federal grant management, financial review, and analysis, purchasing, and travel.
Key Areas of Responsibilities and Specific Job Tasks
Financial Oversight and Budgeting: Prepare financial information for unit/departmental budget. May prepare financial reports.
- Manage grant applications by interpreting funding announcements and working with principal investigators to develop budgets, compile scientific documents, prepare grant applications in Cayuse, Research.gov, Smart/Simple, and Proposal Centraland submit routing forms.
- Coordinate grant transfers as principal investigators join and depart the University.
- Assist with administrative aspects of training grants, including determining and monitoring spending allocations for trainees.
- Monitor, review, and reconcile administrative expenditures and resolve discrepancies.
Complete complex and non-routine reconciliations. May set up templates and processes for others. Significant involvement as a support role in month-end and/or year-end accounting and reporting. Develop financial and operational reports which may require some limited analysis.
Financial Analysis and Planning:
- Manage departmental reconciliation of transaction detail reports and specifically reconcile administrative accounts.
- Prepare and maintain financial reports for research programs, grants, subawards, and administrative activities.
- Alert principal investigators when grant periods are ending, funding is low, personnel efforts change, and for all other pertinent items.
- Assist with grant closeouts and year-end closing.
May perform some complex routine and ad-hoc variance analysis. Prepare highly specialized reports that may involve establishing new processes. Use expert knowledge of financial systems. Recommend processes and strategies to supervisor.
Compliance with Policies, Regulations and Laws, and Operational Oversight:
- Review budgeted versus actual expenditures on grant accounts.
- Prepare and maintain budget projections for principal investigators and provide recommendations and strategies.
- Provide specialized financial reports to principal investigators for review of overall funding status and individual grant status.
- Review outstanding encumbrances and take appropriate actions to resolve them.
Contribute to the recommendations and implementation of new policies and procedures and interpretation of existing policies and procedures.
- Assist principal investigators in interpreting and understanding grant funding regulations.
- Manage compliance with University of Iowa, Carver College of Medicine, and Department of Microbiology and Immunology policies and procedures.
May initiate complex and/or specialized original and corrective journal entries. May review and approve complex transactions. Open and close accounts. Coordinate accounting processes. Recommend changes to templates.
Leadership and Training:
- Prepare Research Performance Progress Reports (RPPRs) in the NIH eRA Commons system.
- Prepare UIRIS routing forms for grant applications, renewals, and resubmissions, as well as for contracts and material transfer agreements.
- Prepare requisitions for subaward agreements.
- Process corrective accounting entries.
- Create invoices and reconcile eDeposits.
Recommend and assist in the development and delivery of training solutions. May provide functional and/or administrative supervision for staff.
Percent of Time:
- Serve as main contact for all issues related to grants. Assist Departmental Administrator with financial planning.
- Provide training and assistance to faculty and staff for various financial reports, systems, and tools.
100% Pay Grade:
4A - https://hr.uiowa.edu/pay/pay-plans/professional-and-scientific-pay-structure-bBenefits Highlights:
- Regular salaried position located in Iowa City, Iowa
- Fringe benefit package including paid vacation; sick leave; health, dental, life and disability insurance options; and generous employer contributions into retirement plans
- For more information about Why Iowa?, click here
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 1-3 years of experience in accounting.
- Demonstrated financial or accounting experience, including procurement, budgeting, and auditing (working proficiency).
- Demonstrated attention to detail and accuracy.
- Experience with computer software applications, such as Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Acrobat.
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to meet deadlines, follow up, multi-task, establish priorities, and manage frequent changes.
- Excellent customer services skills, including the ability to build relationships and create an atmosphere where all persons feel welcome and respected.
Application Process: In order to be considered, applicants must upload a CV or resume, and cover letter (under submission relevant materials) that clearly addresses how they meet the listed required and desired qualifications of this position.
- Knowledge of University of Iowa policies and procedures.
- Experience with E-Pro, ProTrav, PeopleSoft, EFRs/TDRs, GrantDSS, and GLDSS.
- Experience with Cayuse and grant pre-award procedures or their equivalent.
- Experience working with federal grants.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days.
Successful candidates will be required to self-disclose any conviction history and will be subject to a criminal background check. This position is not eligible for University sponsorship for employment authorization. Professional references will be requested at a later step in the recruitment process.
For additional details on this position please contact Anne Beyerink, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Classification Title: Research Support Specialist
- Appointment Type: Professional and Scientific
- Schedule: Full-time
- Work Modality Options: Hybrid within Iowa
This job has expired.
- Organization: Healthcare
- Contact Name: Anne Beyerink
- Contact Email: anne-phillips@uiowa,edu