The Sodium Silicate Senior Process Engineer is responsible for process engineering design and process improvements for sodium silicate processes including furnace operations, dissolving operations and final adjustments. This position will also be responsible for process development/support work for the Potassium Silicate business at Jeffersonville. This individual will also serve as project manager for some process-related capital projects.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
* Work as a member of a multifunctional project teams to execute major capital projects.
* Critical role in developing PFD's, P&ID's, material and energy balances for front-end design engineering.
* Ability to apply process chemistry in process improvements and understanding.
* Work with engineering contractors to assure complete and accurate transfer of plant detailed design data.
* Review of plant designs, 3D models, and piping plans to insure quality plant design.
* Assist in plant construction supervision and start-up activities.
* Provide technical support to R&D, marketing, and sales as required.
* Manage smaller-scale (<$200K) process improvement and capital projects.
* Willing and able to travel up to 40% of time.
SKILLS TYPICALLY USED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
* B.S. in Chemical Engineering, Masters Degree in ChE desirable.
* Five to ten years experience in a process engineering role.
* Experience in a plant process engineering function or other chemical manufacturing role.
* Experienced with field verification of P&ID's.
* Experience includes development of PFD's, P&ID's, equipment layouts, and equipment lists.
* Should have familiarity with a variety of equipment in the processing industry, including pumps, heat exchangers, reactors, filtration, flow measurement, conveyors, mills, and bulk solid/powder material transfer equipment.
* Familiar with the various aspects of OSHA's process safety management (PSM) regulations, including PHA's, management of change, mechanical integrity, and relief valve sizing.
Abilities & Skills:
* Ability to perform conceptual and detailed process designs.
* Ability to develop strong working relationships with the plant personnel.
* Mechanical aptitude
* Solids handling experience desirable.
* Plant design and engineering experience essential.
* Superior interpersonal and writing skills.
* Capacity to organize projects
* Ability to work independently.
* Able to make effective verbal and written presentations to audiences ranging from hourly operating staff to engineering and plant management.
* Knowledge of OSHA and EPA regulations desirable.