If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.
The Onco-Genomics Shared Resource (OGSR) at Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center provides genomics and epigenetics services for the study cancer. Our services support the research needs of all Sylvester Research Programs and span a broad range of next generation sequencing (NGS) workflows, single cell and spatial genomics applications, gene expression assays and nucleic acid sample prep.
The OGSR will undergo significant expansion throughout 2021 and we currently have a position open for Senior Research Associate level 1 (SRA1). The incumbent will join a busy team of 8 research staff running library prep and sequencing, sample capture and stabilization, molecular counting and extraction and QC. All staff also participate in regular meetings with leadership and investigators and cover the customer facing, and administrative needs of the facility. In addition to these tasks senior research staff will have responsibilities for developing new services and supporting special project requests.
Technical platforms in the OGSR include Illumina sequencers, single cell controllers from 10X Genomics and Mission Bio, molecular barcoding and spatial genomics from nanoString, and quantitation and automation platforms from Agilent, Thermo, PerkinElmer and Hamilton.
Responsible for the daily operation of the laboratory, which includes the following:
- Developing proficiency with the laboratory procedures routinely employed in the OGSR including NGS library prep and sequencing, single cell and spatial genomics workflows, and analytical PCR.
- Develop, adapt and implement new laboratory procedures.
- Keep abreast of latest developments in the field and be able to work with databases and technical resources.
- Design and implement SOPs and administrative protocols for the OGSR. Record and report data accurately and in a timely manner.
- Communicate clearly and professionally with OGSR customers and University of Miami staff. Manage the organization of instruments, supplies, service contracts, requisition forms, financial documents and service schedules.
- Assist with maintaining facility budgets and ordering supplies. Perform other duties as assigned
Master's degree in relevant field requiredExperience:
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience
- Proficiency with computers and the ability to record work in a service laboratory environment in an organized manner.
- Relevant experience in NGS library prep for epigenomics, gene expression, single cell, spatial genomics, or metagenomics research is highly desirable.
- Experience working in an academic shared resource or commercial research and development environment is advantageous.
- Ability to work well in a team.
- Ability to understand and communicate performance goals.
- Strong knowledge of molecular biology
- Good organizational skills to work effectively under pressure
- Able to interpret scientific data.
The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, tuition remission and more.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:
Full timeEmployee Type:
This job has expired.