Hybrid - This position does not require an employee to be onsite full-time to perform most effectively. The employee's role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as frequently as needed or desired.
This position requires an employee to be onsite on average 1-3 times per week.
Who You Are
As a part of the Vehicle Systems Research Lab, you will be working within the Optics team. Your research will be focused on the development of compact optical solution for automotive use. You will exercise your expertise in displays media technology, your rapid prototyping capabilities, as well as your project management skills, to lead the development of testable advanced head down and head up displays systems. Ultimately, you will implement your high value designs into production. In this position you will work closely with GM internal customers to develop the next generation product. In addition, you will also contribute to the enhancement of General Motors' reputation by publishing your research findings in peer-reviewed journals. You'll also connect with vendors, research institutes and other advanced technology laboratories to build a partnership network that can bring to bear investments and augment the GM skills base. Sound right for you? Apply today!
What You Do
The successful candidate will demonstrate the capability to excel at several of the following job elements:
Additional Job DescriptionWhat You Need
- Pioneer the development of advanced display media technology for automotive systems, including projection display, HUD, OLED, AMLCD, microLED, and flexible displays
- Self-directed creation of novel ideas that are aligned with technology development roadmap
- Use advanced optical modeling toolsets, devise unique high value solutions
- Build testable prototypes of these solutions and document your findings
- Interact with internal customers, vendors, and external research organizations to refine understanding of requirements and identify innovation opportunities
- Apply formal project management training to develop and implement project plans while coordinating a team effort to develop high value designs and prototypes
- Apply business training and technical depth and innovation savvy to survey and select potential partners in flat optics
- Facilitate technology transfer via active participation in inter-organizational teams
- Apply program management tools and processes to risk manage and implement complex projects
What Would Be Even Better
- Advanced Degree in Engineering or a physical Science, with a deep understanding and focus in Optics with7+ years direct industry experience OR
- PhD with 0-3 years industry experience
- Keen software skills
- Proven track record developing project goals and plans
- Desire and ability to work as a member of project team to achieve high impact goals, coupled with the initiative necessary to independently complete innovative research projects
- Demonstrated ability to bust through the barriers to finish project plans
- Multidisciplinary engineering skills
- Post Doc and/or industry experience
- Optical modeling savvy and facility with standard optical modeling software packages
- Experience with using deep learning and/or machine learning to resolve optical problems
- Knowledge in inverse design in optics/photonics
- Capability to build your own modeling code
- Understanding of and experience with digital holography, photonics crystals, structured media
- Formal program management training
- History of success in applying advanced technology to enhance usability of complex systems
- Strong evidence of career performance excellence in position of ever-increasing levels of responsibility and challenge
- Evidence of team leadership capability
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day - individually and collectively - to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.Benefits Overview
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.Diversity Information
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities.GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us atCareers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.
This job has expired.